Friday, November 30, 2012

Ostrich Boys

by Keith Gray
Hennepin County Library audioCDs 5 discs
read by Bruce Mann
genre: YA coming-of-age, grief

What an interesting book! I loved the British and Scottish accents (great vocal work by Mann), the way Blake analyzed what was going on in the wake of his best friend Ross' death, and the journey (physical and emotional) that the boys take. I did not like how much swearing and especially the use of the Lord's name in vain that the dialogue included.

Not sure this title would appeal to my readers, but the humor lightens the sadness of the boys' anger and hurt at the loss of their friend. I liked this story quite a bit. I liked Sim's ability to name different collective nouns. This seems to me a good companion story to Thirteen Reasons Why . . .

No comments: