Thursday, November 08, 2012

The Time Machine

by H. G. Wells
Hennepin County library, paperback 115 pages
genre: SciFi

I read this with my 8th grade book club three (?) years ago . . . or four. Wow! If those kids are seniors now . . . I'm losing some excellent helpers for my book fairs. Here are notes I found that I want to save.

Ch. 1 - gentlemen discuss four dimensions / time travel
2 - dinner guests / time traveler shows up
3 - travel into the future
4 - 802, 701 A.D. exploration / his theories on human development
5 - time machine missing! Panic, exploration, saving Weena, finding Morlocks
6 - time traveler goes down into the Morlocks' tunnels
7 - flowers in pocket / green building / overnight outdoors
8 - the museum (green palace)
9 - the fire / exhaustion & night in the open
10 - the Sphinx and the time machine
11 - 30,000,000 years into the future
12 - finishing his story / disbelief / he goes

Narrator / "I"
Time Traveler
Filby (red hair)
Psychologist
Very Young Man
Provincial Mayor
Medical Man / Doctor
Editor / Blank
Journalist / Dash
Silent Man / Choose
Weena / Eloi
Morlocks / underground

pg. 29 - para 2 last sentence
pg. 35 - para 1 families
pg. 46 - "Occidental" - define
pg. 54 - sun / planets / future
pg. 58-59 - Haves & Have-nots
pg. 70 - Carlovingian (def.)
pg. 74-75 - constellations different
pg. 76 - "Carlyle-like scorn of . . . "
pg. 80- deliquesced

I remember these kids watching the movie. I think they said something like, "H.G. Wells would turn in his grave if he saw that." Nice that they appreciate the literature and see how Hollywood can ruin a story.

No comments: