Sunday, November 25, 2012

Stupid Fast

by Geoff Herbach
PRMS paperback 311 pages
genre: YA coming-of-age

I first encountered this book while trying to help an eighth grader write a character sketch. (A tough task, given he'd only read about 27 pages of the book . . . ) I was intrigued enough by the book to put a copy in my online shopping cart. Then a few days later, I met the author at Bookology! Talking with him (and buying a copy on-site for him to sign), I knew I had to finish reading this book! It's got so many layers to it - grief, cliques, romance, talent, suicide, bullying, family dynamics, communication, . . . it's a wonderful book! The author uses the Lord's name in vain and swearing more than I'd like, but I don't think teenagers will have a problem with that. Felton Reinstein goes from "joke to jock" during the summer between his sophomore and junior years in high school. His best friend is in South America visiting an ailing grandparent. His second-best friend would rather hang out with the debate team. His little brother is a piano prodigy. And his mother is changing. Felton just wants to eat, sleep, and grow hair. Highly recommended book.

No comments: