Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sleeping Freshman Never Lie

by David Lubar
PRMS paperback 279 pages
genre: YA coming-of-age

This was a re-read because I remember loving this book, but not the kind of reader to booktalk it to . . . I loved it again and it is pretty funny. I didn't remember, however, that it is about a really smart kid who dislikes PE. Hmmm. I've been trying to "sell" it to the wrong type of reader. This book is smart, funny, wonderful! Scott is a normal kid who is a bit unsure about starting high school. Of his three best friends, one gets a girlfriend, one moves away, and one becomes an athlete. Scott is wondering where he fits. Great themes - touches on friendship, bullying, suicide, literacy, . . . an English teacher is pretty much the adult hero in the book. Sigh. Right up my alley!

No comments: