Thursday, November 08, 2012

My Descent Into Death: a Second Chance at Life

by Howard Storm
error copy, hardcover, 146 pages
genre: memoir, Christian testimony

This book was wrapped in a jacket for Gary Paulsen's Notes from the Dog. The spine on the hardcover under that jacket even had Paulsen's name and title on it! Imagine the confusion of the student who checked it out, then brought it back with a confused, "I don't get this." Mackin quickly replaced it with the correct book.

I, however, have a hard time chucking books into the garbage. So this sat in my home for a few years until I started reading it while I brushed my teeth. Over the past few months, I've read the whole thing with a mix of joy and disbelief. I'm not sure why I have such a strong bias about people's return-from-death stories. . . who am I to doubt another person's experience? And I should just stick with the joy that this former atheist now believes in Jesus. Still, his time hanging out in heaven with Jesus sounds pretty involved, lengthy, and detailed . . . and not as authentic as the rest of his testimony. I'd be curious to have other believers read this and give me their opinion.

No comments: