Tuesday, December 05, 2017

No Laughter Here

By Rita Williams-Garcia
PRMS hardcover 131 pages
Genre: YA realistic

I found this in my email from Feb. 24, 2017 . . . and I'm just now blogging it on Dec. 5! Ah well. Life gets busy.

Akilah (“intelligence”) and Victoria (named for the British queen) are best friends. Victoria and her family have gone to Nigeria for the summer and Akilah hasn’t had a letter for weeks. She is eagerly awaiting her friend’s return. But when Victoria comes back, she doesn’t talk, smile, or act like herself anymore.

This is the summer between fourth and fifth grade . . . but I hope some of my readers connect with it. As Akilah realizes the truth about what happened to Victoria in Nigeria, she vows to keep it a secret.

Powerful, painful, amazing book.

No comments: