Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Compelled by Love: How to Change the World Through the Simple Power of Love in Action

by Heidi Baker with Shara Pradhan
loaned by Kelly Harvey (via New Day Church), paperback, 151 pages
genre: non-fiction Christian missions

This book blew me away! I have put it in my Amazon cart, because I'd love to own it and read it again. Baker came from a life of privilege, but fell in love with Jesus and has worked as a missionary in several countries. Mozambique is her "home" and favorite place in the world. She is inspired by Mother Teresa and writes about the Beatitudes in this book. Chapters are "Blessed are the Poor in Spirit," "Blessed are Those who Mourn," etc.

page 34:  "I did not yet realize that the Sermon on the Mount is God's formula for revival. The Beatitudes are His recipe for His kingdom to come and His will to be done on the earth as it is in heaven."  God is so good! He gives us what we need in His Word.

page 35: "Some of you may think ministry is a grand adventure. Ministry, however, is simply about loving the person in front of you." Sometimes we make things more complex than they need to be.

page 88: "These children are my delight as they hunger for more of Jesus. They are my mentors, and they have helped to teach me not to be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion. Sometimes we make things too complicated when we really need to remember that the kingdom belongs to the children!" I love the stories she includes about children who are transformed by God's love. Those individual children have incredible personal testimonies.

page 114 - I had to include the entire page here because so much of it resonated with me. "In trials and tribulations, our enemy will use every possible device to try to get us to focus on the problem." Yep, that's been an issue for me lately. Listening to Satan is *not* a good idea.


































page 147: "Ministers should be the most joyful, in-love people on the planet. It is not a competition in misery." This would make for an interesting discussion at a pastors' meeting, yes?

No comments: