Friday, December 22, 2017

It's Your World: Get Informed, Get Inspired, and Get Going!

by Chelsea Clinton
Hennepin County Library audiobook 8 CDs
read by the author
genre: non-fiction, activism

I only listened to two of the CDs. I think I would enjoy the print version better, though Clinton's voice is pleasant. The non-Clinton voice that said the section headings seemed disconcerting and robotic . . . and at times, Clinton's voice took on an almost hypnotic quality.

That said, the content is good. I found the story about her grandma Dorothy (Hilary's mom) fascinating! What a heritage. Clinton is at her best when she talks about her own childhood and experiences.

Her target audience is children and youth. At times, she addresses kids directly or explains complex topics (like GDP) very well. At other times, she doesn't seem to be aware of children's limited grasp of serious topics. She addresses poverty and its causes, homelessness, etc. Perhaps I'm just not in a receptive mood for this info right now. In one section alone, I jotted notes on Read to Feed, Heifer International, Barefoot College, KIVA, three water charities, and Care . . . so perhaps my decision to not finish the book was simply that I felt overwhelmed by the options for helping.

I hope that kids listen and are inspired to help others and make a positive difference in the world. As an adult, I find that having a few causes (or only one!) that you're passionate about makes it easier to focus time, attention, and money in a way that can make a difference. Kudos to Clinton for working to inspire kids to make a difference. I also like that she introduces a topic, explains the different perspectives, and encourages her readers / listeners to make up their own minds about it. What an incredible young woman!

No comments: