Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Because of the Sun

by Jenny Torres Sanchez
Hennepin County Library hardcover 258 pages
genre: YA realistic fiction

This was on one of my reading lists, so I ordered it even though I'm not working with teens or libraries right now. It had great reviews.

Dani has a tumultuous life with her mother, so when her mother is mauled to death by a bear, Dani's grief has some unusual aspects to it.

The story was a bit too stream-of-consciousness for me. Some of Dani's mental noise - especially the spectre of the bear - was hard to visualize.

I liked her friendship with Paolo. I like learning his back story. I didn't like when the book shifted to the past and Shelley's story, but it pulled things together well.

Lots of swearing and teen attitude. Nice resolution to the story. I think this would appeal to teens who like reading serious books.

No comments: