Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results

by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
Hennepin County Library hardcover 224 pages
genre: NF motivational

This is the second time I've tried to get through this short book. In some ways, it has a great message that I can take to heart. In other ways, it is simply too rah-rah, of the world, business-success-oriented. I feel bad that I've had it three days over the due date with such a long waiting list. It was on our summer Litwits reading list and I just couldn't get into it in August. And now I'm struggling to finish the last 40 pages. But it WILL go back today, whether I finish it or not.

www.The1Thing.com is apparently the motherlode of info that they gathered (and a book trailer).

I kind of wanted to record the "Big Ideas" at the end of each chapter, but I'm feeling lazy and time-crunched. I've looked a bit online, but here's one I grabbed a pic of earlier this summer:
There are lots and lots of these "Big Ideas" and they are worth looking at. I am going to move on with my life, however, and perhaps get back to this book at some future point in my life. Also, someone pencil-underlined throughout this library book and that was very frustrating! I almost went through it with an eraser, but . . . I'm more interested in finishing the reading first! 

And I think part of my issue with this book is that if I work to identify the One Thing that matters most to me, I would have to say my faith. If I focus more time, energy, and attention on my faith, I would quit my job (and our income would drop drastically). I am not sure at this point in my life WHAT I want. I'm too young to throw in the towel (and I do love learning), but I am either mid-life crisis-ing or not listening to God's call. In any case, this book is just not the right book for me at the right time.

No comments: