Monday, November 30, 2015

The Memory Weaver

by Jane Kirkpatrick
Hennepin County Library paperback 327 pages
genre: Christian historical fiction

I didn't really get into this book, though I finished reading it. Skipped book club tonight, too . . . not like me. The author didn't engage me in the story, starting with a convoluted set-up - a long list of characters, a map, a prologue set in 1847, and then a story that goes from her earliest childhood memories (but not the one in the prologue) to her mother's funeral when Eliza was thirteen. There were many times when I had to force myself to read on. Either this was simply not the right book for me at this time, or Kirkpatrick's style just doesn't resonate for me. There were some nice moments and some very thoughtful observations, but overall I just didn't like the book.

No comments: