Monday, November 09, 2015

The Story of Classical Music

by Darren Henley
Hennepin County Library audiobook 4 discs
read by Marin Alsop
genre: YA / kid non-fiction, music history

This was very interesting and I *love* that there are so many excerpts - over 150 music clips. You could *not* get that from a print book! I did NOT like the obnoxious sound effects they included, especially the sound of a tape fast-forwarding. Some of the background noises also seemed incongruous to the narration. Despite these flaws, the story was clear and interesting and the musical selections were fantastic! It made me want to grab a lot of classical CDs and listen to the full works! This is one I'd re-listen to so I could glean even more . . . there were some composers I'd never heard of, though most were familiar names.

No comments: