Saturday, November 14, 2015

Secrets of a Civil War Submarine: Solving the Mysteries of the H.L. Hunley

by Sally M. Walker
Hennepin County Library audiobook 3 discs
read by J.R. Horne
genre: YA NF history

I listened to this a few weeks ago, but I really enjoyed it. It is impressive that people continued to go down in this submarine in the 1860s even after it sank three times! After being on the ocean floor for over 100 years, it was an historic and scientific find. The author's research and the narrator's vocal work brought the story of the Hunley to life very effectively. I found the first section on the Civil War work to make and use a submarine to be more compelling than the scientists' efforts to uncover what happened to it almost 150 years later . . . but it was all very interesting. I am no history buff, but I recognize the importance of finding and researching this machine and the men who developed it and went to war in it.

As a side note, I think of the developments in naval technology from the Civil War to WWI (and what I read in the Lusitania book) . . . absolutely amazing!

No comments: