Monday, November 09, 2015

The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America

by Timothy Egan
Hennepin County Library audiobook 9 discs
read by Robertson Dean
genre: YA Non-fiction history

This was a fascinating book! I almost want to get the print version to see photographs, but probably won't. I already admired TR as a president, but I am so very glad that he and the Progressive party pushed through so much national wildlife space. I was horrified (but ultimately not surprised) at the big business people (timber, mining, railroads) and the politicians in their pockets who did everything in their power to strip the new Forest Service of money and support. The fire of 1910 decimated millions of acres and some towns, especially in Idaho. This was a well-researched and well-written history. I had never even heard of Gifford Pinchot before! The thought of "conservation" being a new concept is so odd now . . . but I also see the unfolding of history and attitudes, even extending to my childhood with Smokey the Bear and now a more "natural" attitude toward fire and its role in forests. Interesting stuff! The vocal work was very well-done.

No comments: