Monday, November 16, 2015

No Sweat: How the Simple Science of Motivation Can Bring You a Lifetime of Fitness

By Michelle Segar
Hennepin County Library, paperback, 221pages
Genre: non-fiction, self-help

This book is amazing. I seriously thought about buying my own copy (and still might). Her examples and research really resonated with me. I need to get this back to the library, so I'm going to make note of the things I most really to remember.
- doing what you enjoy is a better motivator for exercising - and it works
- MAPS are Meaning, Awareness, Permission, and Strategies
- start by taking any and every opportunity to move, in any way possible, at whatever speed you like, for any amount of time
- your MEANING for exercise creates your relationship with and approach to exercise
- move exercise from a chore to a gift
- AWARENESS helps you identify what's been standing in your way and discover physical activities that motivate you
- do what feels good, build positive experiences with physical activities
- people tend to approach things that feel good and avoid things that feel bad
- research shows that when you choose to make movement a regular party of your life for personally compelling reasons and choose to move in ways that feel good to you, you are more likely to stick with exercise and maintain weight loss
- count everything and choose to move!
- treasure hunt: Opportunities To Move (OTM)
The long cut
The phone moment
Active waiting
The movement snack
Couple's cruise
Boogie break
Green getaway
It's a gift
Friend fitness
Family fun
Walking meeting
Recess
The soulful stroll
Coffee walk
Doggy destinations
Office sprints
Cleaning calisthenics
Be a sport
Gym genius
The leisurely stroll
Walk the airport, airplane
One-minute workout
The snow shuffle
- reward substitution helps change movement from a chore to a gift
- listen to your body's messages and do what you like
- "gift" yourself with movement and and every way you can
- make it a game to discover OTMs
- pages 117-8 great takeaways, bit I don't want to record them all here.
- walking is wonderful
- giving yourself PERMISSION to prioritize your own self-care - to feel better every day - provides the fuel for your daily roles and goals and powers your sense of well-being
- avoid caretakeritis (pic):


- make self-care a priority! (Pic)
- give yourself permission to stop following should
- give yourself permission to make daily self-care a top priority
- pretend if you need to take care of yourself
- change your mindset
- what sustains us, we sustain (pic)

- you are the energy center of your life
- amazing paradox: giving to yourself means giving more to others
- the gift of physical movement becomes essential fuel for what matters most
- are you thriving or just surviving? What do you need right now?
- check in on your priorities
- great take-aways on pages 187-8 (pics)
- use learning and negotiation STRATEGIES to sustain the lifelong gift of physical activity
- #1- use learning goals to get intrinsic motivation, persistence, and resilience
#2 - begun with the end in mind
#3- use sustainable self-care as an essential strategy for well-being
#4- integrate one new behavior at a time
#5- strengthen the core - build consistency before quantity
- #6- bring your learning to life
- great takeaways on pages 182-3
- Sustainability training
- make a self-care negotiation plan
- phase one is planning and previewing
- give physical activity clout
- plan the weekly logistics
- create a continuum of success where you are successful if you for in at least one planned activity
- decide to confront challenges, not roadblocks
- bring friends and family on board
- use if-then planning
- dance with your challenges- be flexible and improvise
- hesitate before you respond to a request
- listen to your body's messages
- learn the links- make physical activity relevant and compelling
- evaluate and recalibrate with compassionate non- judgment
- the learning process never ends

I took photos of a bunch of other pages, but this is enough for now. I really enjoyed this book and it is helping me to make healthier choices for myself! 

Above posted 11.16.15, below added 2.2.16:
Notes on random paper from last fall include my most important projects right now:
  • finish Alex & Stacie quilt
  • get house put back together
  • faith / being Jesus-centered
  • health - get BP below 140/80
  • plan Yellowstone vacation
  • clear clutter in home
  • get ready for school year
  • move on MakerSpace
Do what you enjoy for physical activity
MOVE however possible, at whatever speed you like, for any amount of time.

I also had some notes that were in response to questions in the book . . . I really should just buy and own a copy of it!

Notes on awareness (and my "whys" for exercise) - Dread is too strong a word. Aversion of indifference (or mild dislike) is more accurate. I kind of DO think there's a "right" way to exercise and if I don't do it that way, why bother? I usually don't exercise in ways that don't feel good to me! (But then I'm disappointed in myself for not doing what I "should" do.

I made a list of ways that I LIKE moving my body . . . and I hope to exercise in those ways.

Then I made a note that said "Ch. 5 pg. 84" but I'm not sure why. Maybe that's where I was when I started reading this book in the summer. Then I got it again and finished it in the fall. And now I'm getting rid of scraps of paper in my office. Done?





No comments: