Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

by Douglas Adams
Carver County Library audioCDs, 6 hours
read by Stephen Fry
genre: SciFi humor

Thanks to Mason, I "re-read" this book that I haven't touched in almost thirty years. Not sure why I enjoyed it enough back then to read the rest (Restaurant at the End of the Universe, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, and Life the Universe and Everything). It is as stupid as I expected (or stupider? grin). Now I'm really glad I convinced Mason that this wouldn't be a good choice for our eighth grade book club. It's very inane, only occasionally funny, and the ridiculous names just beg the question "Why?"

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Bartislartfast
etc.
Doesn't do it for me. I'm getting rid of all four paperbacks in the next donation box.

The reader, however, was fantastic! Inflection, character voices, etc. were all fantastic.

No comments: