Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Ruins of Gorlan

by John Flanagan
Carver County Library, audioCDs, 7.75 hours
performed by John Keating
genre: YA historical fiction / adventure

Louie and I enjoyed this story of Will, Horace, and the other orphans in book one of The Ranger's Apprentice series. Although Will has always wanted to become a knight / warrior, he is taken in by the ranger Halt (pronounced "Holt" by Keating). Morgarath is the Great Enemy, but he doesn't figure into this story too much. My favorite scene was the reconciliation between Will and Horace. Halt is a wonderful character! Enjoyable story and I got book two from PRMS today.

 

<Above entered on 8.19.10. Below added 5.16.23.>

 

Libby ebook

I was looking for a quick read on my phone for a trip to Costa Rica and I grabbed this story. I knew it was a quick, enjoyable book but had forgotten how addicting these are!  


Since this was an ebook, I was able to bookmark passages! (As opposed to listening to it . . . )


Chapter 1: "In fact, it was this tendency that often led to trouble between them: Will was yet to learn that having the last word was not always a good idea."


The conflicts between Horace and Will were exacerbated by Will's quick wit and quick tongue. This reminded me of my sister Louise as a teenager. She got into so much trouble with her sassy mouth!


Chapter 4: "Willpower, he thought abstractedly, recognizing the play on the boy's name."


I love that Baron Arald recognized how hard it was for Will to stand before the craftmasters and other orphans and be discussed. Holding back tears when you are upset is hard indeed!


Chapter 16: "Like most cooks, once she had prepared a meal, she had little interest in eating it. Her real pleasure lay in watching others enjoy the results of her work - and listening to their praise."


When one prepares food as an act of love, this is so true! Poor Jenny didn't know why Horace was in a foul mood.


Chapter 22: "But it had his shoulder and body weight and months of suffering and loneliness behind it - the loneliness that only a victim of bullying can know."


Vindication! I love that Horace and Will became friends, but I'm sorry that Horace had to experience some of the cruelty he had dished out to Will when they were children. Horace getting to punch out the chief of his bullies is sweet. Halt made this all work out well.

No comments: