Tuesday, August 10, 2010

King of the Mild Frontier: An ill-advised Autobiography

by Chris Crutcher
Hennepin County Library, audioCDs 4:54
read by the author

What an amazing writer! Crutcher's childhood and youth formed him into the therapist and writer he is now. His candor and humor are engaging. I found myself wanting to write him a letter, thanking him for using his talent to touch people's lives. I've always been a bit gun-shy about having his books in a middle school library (because of the swearing and intense content), but I had students go through Whale Talk enthusiastically. Some of my readers are ready for this. His autobiography will be another easy book-talk for me. Incredible.

5/23/13
Did a re-listen in the car with Louie, Morgan, and Nick on our way back from Alex's wedding. I thought the boys would appreciate some of the "guy" humor and I was right. I don't care for his theology, but he is a wonderful storyteller with an interesting take on life. I can see why he has been successful in his work as a therapist working with people who have anger issues.

No comments: