Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dear Enemy

by Jack Cavanaugh
Hennepin County Library, paperback, 283 pages
genre: historical fiction, Christian inspiration

Wow! What a page-turner. I started this last night and couldn't put it down! This is our church book club title (for next week's discussion). Set in France during WWII (and in California afterward), it tells of nurse Annie Mitchell, her brief marriage with childhood friend Keith, her friendship with Marcy (aka "Mouse"), and her unusual relationship with a German soldier named Karl.

This was well-written. I don't think I've read any of Cavanaugh's books before . . . I need to track down some of his other titles. The only thing that didn't work for me was the lack of explanation for why Karl knew English so well and why he didn't use it for the first day he and Annie were together in the woods. The whole putting-off-the-marriage to Stan part was a bit odd, too, but I liked this story a lot!

I can hardly wait for the discussion. I've missed the last three or four months of it!

No comments: