Tuesday, August 03, 2010

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing: Traitor to the Nation

by M.T. Anderson
subtitled: Volume One - The Pox Party
Carver County Library, AudioCDs 8:19
read by Peter Francis James

This is one of those books that I "had" to read. I've read so many positive reviews of it that I just couldn't ignore it. It's an amazing book that I absolutely hated. James' voice is fantastic and he brought the story to life vividly. Unfortunately, it's a story of evil and hypocrisy. The members of the "Novanglian College of Lucidity" are testing a hypothesis about the inferiority of blacks in Revolutionary America. Octavian is their subject. He and his mother are treated royally in some regards, but the evils of racism and intellectual arrogance shine through. Ultimately, this is an incredible, haunting story that made me think. But I didn't enjoy the story.

No comments: