Tuesday, August 03, 2010

The Mouse that Roared: Disney and the End of Innocence

by Henry A. Giroux
PRMS hardcover 173 pages
genre: social analysis

I picked this up from school in the spring shortly after I had read the other book on Walt Disney. It took me 'til last month to start reading this. I ended up just doing a skim-read because it was so dry. It seemed more like a research paper than compelling non-fiction. His premise is that Disney is the "world's most influential" corporation in terms of cultural practices. He argues that in the guise of promoting innocent fun for kids, Disney has actually created children-as-consumers. This just didn't do it for me. And it definitely isn't going to work for my middle school readers. I have a "delete & donate" sticky on it for back-to-school time.

No comments: