Tuesday, April 04, 2023

The Blackout Book Club

by Amy Lynn Green

Scott County Library paperback 366 pages

Published: 2022

Genre: Christian historical fiction (WWII)

 

I read this over a week ago (and our book club discussion was also over a week ago), but I have to blog it before I return it to the library!) It took me a little to get into the book (mostly because it starts out with four different characters. Dude. Do I need to take notes? Why is this the way so many books start out nowadays?) Once I got past that, I read it in one sitting! Ginny was most definitely my favorite character. She was very spunky.

 

My quick notes: 

  • Avis (& Russell) - reluctant librarian, brother Anthony, Derby Maine
  • Ginny Atkins - beau Mack Conway, fishing, Long Island Maine
  • Martina Bianchini - Italian, Gio & Rosa, mom, Boston moving to Maine
  • Louise Cavendish - 50+, lives with GSD Jeeves and deaf-ish cook Delphie

 

I also really liked Delphie. She was sassy!

 

Page 19 - "She closed her eyes, longing to kneel by the books a little longer and let the latest trouble run its course. But only for a moment, because deeper than the weariness was the knowledge that she was a mother, so all trouble in the family was her trouble." 


This was Martina. Both the idea of books being an escape AND the idea that mom had to deal with all life's tough realities - this resonated for me.


Page 112 - "That was my favorite part of the book, actually. Put in straightforward terms - humans need stories because they appeal to our unconscious needs for love, justice, discovery, etc. - I could finally see what Anthony must have meant all along."


This was from Avis' notes from a book club meeting. I am very fond of stories. I love how Jesus used stories to connect with his audiences.(Anthony was her brother. He wrote letters to her throughout the war.)


Page 211 - "Good for me he didn't have a tuba handy, or I would've shown I don't remember much from high school except how to aim a spit valve at the school bully."


Russell wrote this in a letter to Avis and it's out of context, but it made me laugh. It brought back memories of band and how people could clear their spit valve carefully or not. There weren't a lot of laugh lines in this book, so I appreciated the comic relief. Also, I love that Russell got to be part of the beach patrol. 


Page 272 - This remembered conversation between Louise and her father dropped a bombshell, but I don't want to have spoilers in this entry. From the beginning, these flashbacks to WWI and her relationship with her dad were leading to something that made her such a bitter, lonely woman. The whole Oliver thing was part of it, but this is where the "more" was clear.


Page 280 - "When you think about it, we're all passing through, in and out of this world quick as a passenger boarding a train, on the way to something that lasts. Until then, you might as well make friends with your fellow travelers. Because, like it or not, you need us, Ginny. And we need you."


Freddy is talking to Ginny after she's become withdrawn. He's such a delightful character!


Page 356 - "For I have found that books make fine friends - but fellow readers even better."


This was in a letter for Louise from her dad. It had been inside a book for two decades. To me, it was too little too late. He wasn't much of a father, in my opinion. I do agree with the sentiment in the letter, though.


I liked how the "minutes" from the bookclub meetings were included. They added to the story AND provided some amusement. Not sure why I tagged them all . . . starting on pages 72, 84, 99, 111, 148, 161, 185, 215, 242, 263, 311, and 360.


I hope this author has written other books!





No comments: