Wednesday, April 05, 2023

206 Bones

by Kathy Reichs

Libby audiobook 10 hours

read by Linda Emond

Published: 2009

Genre: murder mystery


I used to love watching the TV show Bones, so when I saw this book I thought I'd give it a try. Some of it was too focused on the forensic science aspect, but I definitely liked this narrator's voice much more than actress Emily Deschanel. Temperance Brennan is an interesting character. I was surprised that she was more of a pushover than I expected. It was easy to see that there was trouble brewing in the lab!


My favorite part was when a character named Otto was asked about his mother's death. His given name was Othello (and his sister was Desdemona). He said he "added a T and got the hell out!" I genuinely thought that was a funny line . . . but then the other characters snidely commented about how funny he thought he was.


The murdered elderly women, the missing bones, the young pathologist determined to make her way in the lab (unethically, to raise her own profile), the moody lab assistant Joe, the neighbor "Sparky" who hated Brennan's cat, the underground graves, detective Ryan,  . . . there was a lot going on here!


So funny! I didn't realize I had read and blogged a different "Temperance Brennan" book until I published this one. Apparently I blogged Break No Bones on 7.30.2019 and vowed to not read any more of her books! Perhaps watching the TV show ruined the books for me.


I also forgot to add that it was frustrating that in a couple of places, the audio track SKIPPED. It's an mp3 and it sounded like I was listening to a scratched CD! To whom would I even comment? Libby? My local library? Ugh.

No comments: