Thursday, April 20, 2023

A Caribbean Mystery

by Agatha Christie

Libby audiobook 2 hours

Read by full cast

Published: 1964 (this version in 2010)

Genre: murder mystery, Miss Marple detective

 

I know I've read this before, but since I didn't have a blog entry it was either one that I read before I started blogging or one that fell through the cracks . . . 

 

Although I liked the vocal work of the full cast, some of the necessary abridgements bothered me. Miss Marple is a favorite of mine, but this version made her seem like a horrid gossip who only knitted and chatted.

 

I ended up liking Mr. Rafael much better, though. I remembered who the murderer was, but not how the whole story came together. Now I'd almost like to re-read the full text for myself . . . 

 

"reminders of mortality" . . . I think those are helpful! Marriage and partners . . . interesting observations made by different characters. I'm glad I'm in a positive marriage!

 

St. Honore' and "West Indies" - does anyone refer to the Caribbean that way any more? (I thought this was an actual place. I googled it and learned about the pastry before I found that it is a fictional island. Part of my love of reading ties into my love of learning!)

 

Sorry for all my ellipses in this entry. I'm not feeling very expressive today.

No comments: