Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Letters for Emily

by Camron Wright

Scott County Library hardcover 214 pages

Published: 2001

Genre: Realistic fiction

 

Oh! I loved this on so many levels, though it isn't quite as good as his book The Rent Collector. Right away, the elderly Harry Whitney and his struggle with Alzheimer's reminded me of dealing with my own mom's end of life. I did NOT like the marriage struggles for Laura and Bob.

 

Page 1 - "My garden has taught me that every living thing must die. I have watched it happen now for scores of years - I only wish I could have a few more summers in my garden with Emily."

 

 Although I am most certainly not a gardener, this line highlights one of the best things about being connected to the natural world. Death is indeed a part of life. This was Harry's recollection in a time of having clear thoughts. I love that he and his granddaughter Emily had a strong connection, but I don't think playing favorites is very nice. (He didn't really have a relationship with his other grandchildren.)


Page 43 - "Actually, they've been known to sneak in a hand of that (poker) as well. But don't play against Mrs. Wellington, trust me on that one. She used to be a dealer in Vegas - she'll have you sitting in your underwear in no time."


The whole scene where they're visiting nursing homes was so sad to me. I understand why it happens, but I'm also super glad that my parents were able to live at home until their deaths. This lighthearted observation about some of the elderly card players brought a smile to my face.

 

Page 145 - "I don't mean to compare you to an old mule, Emily, but in life, there will be people who throw dirt on you. If you shake it off and don't let it build up, like that old mule, you'll be able to rise above those dark situations that will occur in your life."

 

In a series of poems and letters, Harry shares his life wisdom and "treasures" of loving family. As Laura observes later, though the letters are directed to Emily, Harry actually is "speaking" to Bob and his sister Michelle as well. Some of these poems and letters were spot on (and interesting!) while others were less meaningful (to me, at least). I like puzzles but some of the code-breaking on the poems was way out of my league. Michelle (Bob's sister) and her husband Greg were not very well-developed characters. Greg just wanted more money and to find "the treasure." I loved the story about the mule who fell into a deep well! I also loved learning more about Kathryn (Harry's wife) who had died much earlier.


Page 187 - "Emily always try your best - be honest, make your best effort. If you do, you will be richly rewarded in the end. I am thinking of you."


In this letter, Harry tells a story of a king with three sons. He sends the sons off with a quest. The ending surprised me. I hadn't heard this story before and I really liked it.


I have lots of other books to read, but I look forward to reading Wright's other published work in the future. He may be one of my favorite authors now! (And I love that his author photo is of him at a young age with his grandfather.)



No comments: