Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Count the Nights by Stars

by Michelle Shocklee

Scott County Library paperback 381 pages plus author's note and acknowledgements

Published: 2022

Genre: Christian historical fiction

 

This story is told from Priscilla's perspective in the late 1890s and from Audrey's perspective in 1961. Both women have a lot to say about life! I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading Shocklee's Under the Tulip Tree . . . whether or not we read it for book club! (I just checked. It was published in 2020 and is available.)


I'm sorry I'll miss our discussion of this book, but I'll note here the places I put post-it notes.


Page 64 (Audrey): "Perhaps I was just as bad as that school principal and my classmate. Being angry about injustice was a good thing, but words without action to back them up are worthless."


She recognizes that there were times she resented her brother Emmett or just didn't want to be associated with him because of his mental retardation (what it was called in the 1960s). I sometimes think, "So what am I going to do about it?" when I'm faced with a frustrating injustice. The proverbial "thoughts and prayers" seem to be too trite of a response.


Page 80 (Audrey): "Since Mama's passing, Mrs. Ruth had done her best to fill the emptiness I hadn't even known was there until recently. Women need women to talk to, she'd say and encourage me to share my mind and feelings."


I wish we'd gotten to know Mrs. Ruth a little better. She was so sweet to help with Emmett and give Audrey this advice, but she never came out of the background. I've known some women who don't seem to want to form relationships with other women. I appreciate the women in my life who have offered advice, compassion, contrasting thoughts, etc. I'm blessed with amazing friends!


Page 91 (Audrey): "I don't think I'll ever understand why some people hate others for no reason other than they're different from themselves," I said, thinking of Emmett and how he was often mistreated by strangers.

"That seems to be a question for every generation that has ever existed."


Audrey and Jason were sweet together. I like how they were able to talk about the important things in life. Sometimes mindless hatred absolutely baffles me.


Page 153 (Audrey): "But that was a secret I hadn't told anyone. The very thought of pursuing it terrified me, yet the idea continued to float through my mind every so often."


She is contemplating a future working with children who have mental disabilities. I liked this line because  the "idea continued to float through my mind." I find that when I have a recurring idea like this, God is prompting me to do something!


Page 167 (Audrey): "A slow smile spread across his face. 'As you wish.'"


I immediately pictured The Princess Bride and Westley!


Page 175 (Audrey): "'I'm sorry I wasn't kinder to you,' I whispered, tears once again springing to my eyes and flowing down my cheeks. Guilt made my chin tremble. 'I'm sorry I didn't take the time to get to know you the way Emmett did.'

I sniffled and closed my eyes. I hadn't prayed much since Mama died, but now seemed a good time to start.

'God,' I whispered as tears dripped off my chin. 'Please don't take Miss Nichols. Not yet.'

The brief prayer was wholly inadequate and completely ineloquent, but it covered everything I wanted to say."


I love that Audrey realized that Miss Nichols had a whole life and history that made her a unique and special person! And I love that she started turning back to prayer.


Page 193 (Audrey): "'The truth is, Audrey, death and sorrow are part of this world. I don't know why Miss Nichols couldn't have been spared her suffering or why my husband was killed in the war or why your mother died when she was still needed by her family.' She walked over and handed the Bible to me. 'But what I am certain of is if we believe what this book says about God and accept Jesus Christ as our Lord, then death isn't the end. It's only the beginning of something so wonderful we can't fully understand it.'"


Betty Ann was a pretty cool character. I liked her a lot! 


Page 225 (Audrey): "'I think I understand. Young people like us forget older people were young once, too.' He smiled at me. 'This whole experience has made me want to spend more time with my grandparents. I think I'd like to record their life stories. Who knows what family secrets I might uncover.'"


As Jason and Audrey go through Miss Nichols' scrapbook, they try to figure out some of the questions that arise. It's a cool journey!


Page 229 (Audrey): "His eyes sough mine. 'I miss your mother every day,' he said softly. 'She's never far from my thoughts.'"


Audrey's dad was so sweet! He and Audrey had some really neat conversations. I don't think most 1961 dads were this sensitive and communicative, but I loved it in this story!


Page 284 (Priscilla Nichols): "'Count your nights by stars, not shadows. Count your life with smiles, not tears.'"


When Luca said this to Priscilla, I knew the meaning right away (and love the connection for the title). He was such a gem of a guy! He truly wanted the best for her. Such a sweet romance.


Page 304 (Priscilla): "Wasn't that what we all longed for? To be seen? Truly seen?"


I love her boldness and her courage! I was surprised and pleased at her dad's response to her life choices (That comes a bit later, and on page 345, her mom finally makes nice.). (Priscilla decided to help Reverend Meyers and his wife to rescue girls out of prostitution work.)


Page 330 (Priscilla): "'The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few.'"


Mrs. Meyers was another cool character!


Page 361 (Luca to Priscilla): "'Who are we to tell God what he should or shouldn't do? I, too, wish things had turned out differently, but we cannot live in regrets. Choices were made that cannot be unmade.'"


Luca was the most fantastic male hero! Too bad how it ended . . . but I'm glad we finally found out! 


Page 371 (Luca to Priscilla): "'There are so many of them.' He grew somber. 'All so young. They need you. They need someone who cares if they live or die.'"


Sex trafficking is not new. And the young are preyed upon. This is a hard topic, but one that affects too many people!

 

 

No comments: