Friday, April 14, 2023

Sherlock Holmes: Three Tales of Betrayal

By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Libby audiobook 3 hours

read by Edward Hardwicke

Published: 2017 (this version)

Genre: Detective Mystery


This audio contained "A Scandal in Bohemia," which I've read before. I love how Holmes actually comes to admire Irene Adler. The photograph. The elaborate attempt to figure out where she hid it. Disguises.


"Silver Blaze" was a new one to me. I kind of liked who the killer of the trainer turned out to be . . . but I was super startled when one line of the story leaped out at me: "the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime." That made me want to re-read Haddon's book by that name. I don't recall if he credits Doyle with his title. The lame sheep . . . did not tip me off to what was happening. I'm no Holmes!


"The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" was somewhat familiar to me, but I didn't remember most of the story line. In the introductory part with the young housekeeper being interviewed, my blood almost curdled when the dad spoke admiringly of his son smacking cockroaches with a slipper. There was definitely something off. And asking her to wear a certain dress, cut off her hair, and sit in a  certain spot. Just creepy. Even before we get to the starved attack dog.


The vocal work was great.

No comments: