Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Awkward

by Svetlana Chmakova
Hennepin County Library hardcover 210 pages
genre: YA graphic novel, realistic

Such a cute story! The artwork was a little too manga-style for me, but I'm sure it will appeal to the kids. (Side note - the author is Svetlana and I'm reading Stalin's Daughter, who was Svetlana. Every summer, I seem to have these intersections of names, ideas, events . . . )

Peppi (Penelope) Torres is new at school. She loves to draw and joins the art club, making good friends there. The rival science club is competitive and active. Jaime loves science, but isn't as aggressive as the other science club kids. The two groups both want to have tables at the school's club fair, but have had some transgressions.

Very middle school - embarrassment, friendships, competition, etc. I will buy this one for PRMS!

No comments: