Friday, August 05, 2016

Brown Girl Dreaming

by Jacqueline Woodson
Hennepin County Library audiobook 4 discs
read by the author
genre: non-fiction memoir

I had seen positive reviews, but absolutely luxuriated in the author's memories and love of language. Her prose poetry takes us to the places she grew up. I feel as though I've spent time with her grandpa - "Daddy" she calls him, as her own mother does. Her love of words and writing (and the people who either inspired her or shot her down) are fully come to fruition in her adult life. I enjoyed her writing before reading this, and now I love it even more!

This would be good to use alongside All-American Boys and How It Went Down to help students understand why "Black Lives Matter" is such a big thing right now. How sad that little has changed since the Black Panther Movement, in terms of truly equal rights and fair treatment of all people.

No comments: