Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Anna and the Swallow Man

by Gavriel Savit
Hennepin County Library audiobook 6 discs
read by Allan Corduner
genre: YA historical fiction

"Kraków, 1939. A million marching soldiers and a thousand barking dogs. This is no place to grow up. Anna Łania is just seven years old when the Germans take her father, a linguistics professor, during their purge of intellectuals in Poland. She’s alone. And then Anna meets the Swallow Man. He is a mystery, strange and tall, a skilled deceiver with more than a little magic up his sleeve. And when the soldiers in the streets look at him, they see what he wants them to see"

This book was not at all what I expected!There were so many times that I expected one thing to happen and something entirely different did. It kept me in suspense. I went on Goodreads after I finished it to see what I had missed at the ending . . . what was up with the fisherman, the trade, the professor? The narrator's vocal work was fantastic in bringing the story to life, but I re-listened to the last part of the last CD two times because I couldn't figure out what I had missed.

Throughout the first half of this, I thought it would be a fantastic companion book to The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (young protagonist, WWII, the horrors of the Holocaust, etc.). But now I'm not so sure. It's definitely more sophisticated (what an extraordinary little girl she is!)

No comments: