Saturday, August 13, 2016

Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy

by L.A. Meyer
Hennepin County Library audiobook 6 discs
read by Katherine Kellgren
genre: YA historical adventure fiction

Loved this! Kellgren's vocal work was fantastic, but I almost wished I'd had the print version at home to finish more quickly. A student had raved about this series last year and now that I've read it, I can see why! I want to keep reading the series, but will probably not have time.

The story opens with Mary being orphaned and joining a street gang of kids who beg to survive. The adventure (and some suspense) just keep the story rolling along. What a strong female protagonist. Love it!

I wrote the above on 8.13.2016. Louie and I listened to this audiobook on our trip to the lake last weekend. Today is 9.7.2017 and I just wanted to add that I liked it better the first time . . . but I definitely want to read the next book in the series. I can't believe she'll just go to boarding school in Boston . . .

No comments: