Saturday, August 13, 2016

Sacred Heart

by Liz Suburbia
Hennepin County Library paperback 309 pages
genre: YA / teen graphic novel dystopian

I didn't love the art style, but that didn't bother me too much. (I don't like Backderf's style, either, but can appreciate his storytelling.) This story had lots of partying, crude graffiti, sex, and random murders . . . but no police, no parents, and no clear sense of what this horrible society of teens and kids was all about.

Ben (a girl, but that's not apparent at first) is best friends with Otto. Otto is the only one who knows Ben's real first name . . . and since it was my favorite "reveal" of the story, I won't include it here. Ben's sister is named Empathy, an interesting choice. I'd love to talk with someone else who read it to see what I missed in understanding it.

The "gotcha" at the end helped, but was too little too late for this reader. With full-frontal nudity, I wouldn't buy this for my middle school anyhow. I hope Suburbia continues to create and to hone her storytelling and art style.

No comments: