Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian

(With Practical Advice for Aspergians, Misfits, Families, and Teachers)
by John Elder Robison
Hennepin County Library audiobook 5 discs
read by the author
genre: non-fiction

This was very interesting! I took quick notes as I was driving in the car.
  • Billy the Kid (documentary) - about an Aspergers kid. I'd love to watch this, but probably won't find it and/or the time. 
  • He talks about three types of humans - Aspergians, proto-Aspergians, and "Nypicals" (neuro-typical). Most people are "nypicals" - what some would call "normal," though he emphasizes that these different types just use their brains differently.
  • What was "weird" as a ten year old has helped him to become a successful adult. He shares how he got from weird kid to successful adult.
  • Find your strengths! He emphasizes "positive attitudes translate to positive results."
  • rituals / habits / behaviors - what are norms? who decides?
  • manners, like "please" and "thank you" make things smoother / he makes a funny comment about how matters are important, but not at sporting events, where they just don't matter
  • He gave advice at the end and emphasized again - finding your strengths and interests. "Greatness happens when you find your unique strengths and build upon them." / Environment matters / Resolve / Focus / Find Real-World Applications / Work Hard.
  • Identify and improve your weaknesses if they're holding you back, but focus on your unique strengths!
  • I like how he identified the differences between Aspergers and the rest of the autism spectrum disorder . . . language skills.
  • Oh. My. Word. I listened to the very end, through the acknowledgements and he gave some credit to his brother Augusten Burroughs! They are brothers?!?! When I read Running with Scissors, I was horrified at Burroughs' life. They are brothers?!
This book is amazing and I wish I could buy it for PRMS. I think his insights and personal experience with Aspergers is valuable.

No comments: