Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pedro and Me: Friendship, Loss, and What I Learned

a graphic novel by Judd Winick
180 pages, Carver County

Well, in 1994, I sure wasn't watching MTV's "The Real World." This comic book author roomed with Pedro, an HIV-positive Cuban immigrant on a reality tv show. Pedro was 17 when he was diagnosed and 22 when he died. He was passionate about AIDS education and impacted a lot of people's lives.

The graphic novel is wonderful, but I think most appropriate for a high school collection. I especially liked the repetition of Pedro's tag line from his public speaking appearances: "Be safe, and remember to love each other." I also liked how the author explored his own biases and preconceived notions before getting to know Pedro and growing to appreciate him as a human being.

No comments: