Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sex as a Second Language

by Alisa Kwitney
Hennepin County Library, hardcover, 328 pages

This wasn't quite as wonderful as I expected it to be (based on a review). There were a couple of parts toward the end that made me laugh, but it was overall a pretty cynical and somewhat shallow romance / mystery.

The parts that resonated for me were at the end, where aging actress Katherine Miner talks about the importance of teachers and the impact they can have on their students' lives. The other thing that struck me was the truth of how our society feeds upon celebrity and what a cruel thing it can be! It horrifies me how paparazzi stalk famous people - how creepy and invasive! Yet apparently, there are a lot of people who are hungry for that kind of information and willing to pay for trashy photos and trashy "news" about stars. Yuk.

Some of the characters were very interesting and reminded me of people I know. This book also reminded me a little of the "Nanny Diaries." I think New York must really be an extremely different environment than the Midwest!

No comments: