Friday, March 07, 2008

Stuck in the Middle

subtitled: Seventeen Comics from an Unpleasant Age
edited by Ariel Schrag
Carver County, paperback, 210 pages

Well I'm glad I got this from the public library. I was debating whether or not to buy it for CMSW. In some ways, I think there are kids for whom these stories would really resonate. In other ways, it comes across as too cynical and harsh. Yes, many middle schoolers struggle with feelings of inferiority, teasing, acne, meanness, etc. but this is just a tough read if you're looking for positives. Plus, some of them use the f--k mode a little too freely.

My favorite stories were "Tips for Surviving Middle School" by Jace Smith, "Tina Roti" by Cole Johnson, "Hit Me" by Gabrielle Bell, "Crater Face" by Dash Shaw, and "Never Go Home" by Robyn Chapman.

No comments: