Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Great Gatsby

by F. Scott Fitzgerald
on CD (Carver County Library) read by Frank Muller, 4.75 hours

Okay, sometimes I dislike audiobooks. There's no lingering over a phrase, or doing a quick re-read of a section, or seeing names clearly. Although I have read this before, it was in the early 80s and I didn't like it at all. Figuring that I was just too immature of a teenager, I decided to experience this classic work as an adult and see if I could find some appreciation for it.

Not so much. I would really love to talk with someone who's passionate about this work of literature. And I could easily find resources that talk about why it's considered great. But since this is my blog and I get to write about my reaction to it, here's why it bugs me:

1. Tom's hypocrisy, adultery, and cruelty.
2. Daisy's shallowness and insincerity.
3. Wilson killing Gatsby, when Daisy is the one who killed Mrs. Wilson.
4. No one showing up for Gatsby's funeral - what a pathetic life, filled with fair-weather "friends."
5. The way this story reminded me of "Room with a View" - why should I care about the lives of the idle rich?

Okay. So clearly, this is just not my kind of book. Some of the descriptive language is gorgeous. There are many symbolic motifs (and I remember them from high school English class). I really ought to try harder to understand the deeper meaning here, rather than just disliking the story itself.

In a way, it reminds me of "Lord of the Flies." I strongly dislike the story, but recognize what an amazing piece of fiction it is. It's powerful in eliciting a response! Maybe my brain is just getting mushy and I don't want to think that hard.

No comments: