Friday, September 23, 2022

Call Us What We Carry

by Amanda Gorman

Hennepin County Library hardcover 228

Published: 2021

Genre: Poetry

 

This book is so beautiful! I may need to buy a copy. I had been on the library waiting list for many months. It was due two days ago and I'm not done, but there's still a long list, so I need to return it!

 

Poetry needs to be read slowly and savored. This book asks to be  pondered and re-read. Here are a few of my favorites so far (and I will need to add to this post later!)


Her dedication page says "For all of us both hurting & healing who choose to carry on" and this is such a lovely way to dedicate a book!

 

Page 25 the poem "& So" starts with "It is easy to harp, / Harder to hope." It made me think of a conversation I had recently had with my sister Ann. Complaining is easy, but there is enough negativity in the world. 


Her poem "Good Grief" is one I tagged to share with my brother whose wife died in April. This line especially made me think of him as he works through his grief.

We are built up again 

By what we

Build/find/see/say/remember/know.

What we carry means we survive, 

It is what survives us


I have put this book in my Amazon cart! I don't read poetry often, but this woman is talented! Her work should be read aloud, thought about, and shared. She uses words powerfully and effectively.

No comments: