Sunday, September 11, 2022

Count Me In

by Varsha Bajaj

Libby eBook 192 pages

Published: 2019

Genre: YA realistic fiction

2022-23 Maud Hart Lovelace nominee


I enjoyed this book for the most part. It focuses on Karina and her neighbor Chris. Karina's grandfather is Indian and the three of them are walking together after school one day when they are attacked by a racist. The incident shakes up the two youngsters and lands grandpa in the hospital. Karina's love of photography and online posts quickly go viral. #CountMeIn, #WeBelong, #IAmAmerican, and other hashtags catch on in her community.


"I typically have my nose in a book, because I have a genetic flaw that does not allow me to catch, throw, or whack a round object. Also, I don't want to be laughed at." (Chapter 1)


I could so relate to Karina's observations at that stage of life!


"It's cool to think about stuff bigger than ourselves." (Chapter 8)


As Karina and Chris develop an actual friendship, it's nice that they can get past stereotypes and talk about things that are more significant. I love this about kids' transition in middle school - they're stretching their thinking.


"Are we (safe), though?We thought we were safe a few hours ago, when we were innocently walking to our car, reciting rhymes from an old picture book. I hear the hurtful words that were flung at us. That man is still out there in the world. How can we be safe?" (Chapter 11)


It is heartbreaking when a terrible incident robs someone (especially a young person) of their feelings of security. 


"I remind myself that all brown people are not terrorists and that all people with blue eyes are not mean haters." (Chapter 11)


"Like Mr. C says, you have to be able to imagine a better world to make it a reality."


Chris' relationship with Karina's grandpa (Mr. C) was one of my favorite parts of the book. The math tutoring was good for both of them!


"Dear Karina, You may not know who G.K. Chesterton was, but he said, 'We are all in the same boat upon a stormy sea, and we owe each other a terrible loyalty.' I am here for you, Amelia Trotter." (Chapter 18)


I love her teacher's words and actions! 


"It means that I cannot be quiet anymore. Count on me to speak up." (Chapter 25)

 

The social media / going viral / hashtags part was anticlimactic for me. I shouldn't have waited so long between finishing it and blogging this. I enjoyed it but it wasn't one that really stuck with me. This book would be a really fantastic discussion book. I'd be curious to hear a group of students talk about it.

No comments: