Sunday, September 11, 2022

Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors

by Piers Paul Read

Libby eBook 528 pages

Published: 1973 (this edition 2016)

Genre: Non-fiction survival



I was curious enough after finishing the Parrado book to want to know more. Read (author) interviewed many different people before writing this account - survivors, their family members, searchers, etc. I don't necessarily think it's a well-written book, but it was interesting. He focused a bit too much on the cannibalism, but there were other aspects of the story (like all the search efforts) that were absent from Parrado's account. I was six years old when this plane crashed into the Andes in 1972. It's amazing that as many people survived as did.


Chapter 7 / page 72: "Since every seat contained such a rectangle of aluminium (sic), there were soon several water-makers at work." 


I think I highlighted this because I liked the "teamwork" aspect of survival and also the ingenuity to figure out how to more efficiently get drinking water for all survivors.


Chapter 1 / page 361 (not sure which part it was chapter 1 OF. . . ): " . . . he now took the same tone with his Creator. 'You can make it tough, God,' he prayed, 'but don't make it impossible.'"


Canessa was not the most faithful of young men in the group, but he was clearly also not the most skeptical. I like his conversation with God. Many of them saw life and mortality in a whole new way which drew them to deeper faith.


Author's Note: "When I returned in October 1973 to show them the manuscript of this book, some of the survivors were disappointed by my presentation of their story. They felt that the faith and friendship which inspired them in the cordillera do not emerge from these pages. It was never my intention to underestimate these qualities, but perhaps it would be beyond the skill of any writer to express their own appreciation of what they lived through."


I like that he added this. It seems very honest and heartfelt.

No comments: