Thursday, September 29, 2022

The Race to Space: Countdown to Liftoff

part of a series (#2) called "Epic Fails"

By: Ben Thompson and Erik Slader

Libby audiobook 2 hours

read by ? Ben Thompson?

Published: 2018 (this version 2019)

Genre: YA Non-fiction

 

I got this so Joshua could enjoy listening in the car, but I think it was a little too boring for him. It was interesting to me, though.  I wanted to learn more about Werner Von Braun, Los Alamos, NM, Laika, what else was going on in 1957, various astronauts, and Gemini.


I had recently talked about Apollo 11 and the name of the third astronaut. I remembered Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. Louie said the third was John Glenn. I was confident that it was NOT John Glenn, but couldn't come up with the correct answer: Michael Collins.


Also, I wondered about Gus Grissom and what he did. I wanted to re-watch Apollo 13 and figure out the Hollywood vs. reality differences. 


Enjoyable. Joshua is *very* into rockets right now.

No comments: