Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The Other Queen

by Philippa Gregory
Delavon's loan, hardcover 433 pages
historical fiction

Generally, I enjoy historical fiction. My sister-in-law had loaned this to one of my daughters-in-law, who encouraged me to read it. I was struggling to force myself for several months to tackle it, but was definitely not enjoying it. Then I pushed through halfway, determined to get it done! At a family gathering, I chatted with my s-i-l who owned the book. She said she didn't finish the book! Ugh. I'm such a pain, I forced myself to finish it.

Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots make for a fascinating story . . . except in this case. Told from the POV of Mary, her jailer/protector George Talbot, and his wife Bess, the story drones on and on through the first three years of Mary's time in England after being ousted in Scotland by rebels. Then the last few chapters wrap up the next decade or so . . .

This was torturous to read. I don't remember what I thought of this author's The Other Boleyn Girl . . . or perhaps I only thought I read that one. In any case, I'm done and moving on.

Page 368 - George finally takes off the rose-colored glasses in regards to Mary and her actions. I kind of felt sorry for him, being the only honorable person in the book.

Page 394 - Seriously?! "'No,' I say as his weight comes down on me. It is what I always say to him. It is the word which means desire to me, to us. It is the word which means yes: 'No.'" What?!?!? How did the author include that? Did Mary's letters to her lover Bothwell actually include that concept? Or does the author think it's sexy when a man insults a woman and then ignores her "no" and forces himself upon her? Dude!

Page 405 - Chillingly reflected in our current political times . . . "But it is a different world now. We will use the laws against our enemies, we will find evidence against our enemies, and if there is neither law nor evidence, then we will make it fresh, specially for them."  Sadler talking to Bess.


No comments: