Wednesday, February 19, 2020

The Bright Unknown

by Elizabeth Byler Younts
Hennepin County Library paperback 351 pages
genre: Christian historical fiction

This is our February book club title. I was trying to read it quickly so I could share it with someone else. I finished it fairly quickly, but have had an overbooked schedule.

Set in the past (1923-1941) and the more recent past (1990), this book follows the life story of Brighton / Nell Friedrich. She was born in an insane asylum to a mother who was never really able to mother her. Young nurse Joann ("Nursey") stepped in to give her as normal a childhood as possible.

The time jumps were confusing to me at first, but at least they were all told from Brighton's point of view. If she's 67 in 1990, then she was born in 1923. Then we go to 1937 and she's 14. Then we're in 1928 with five-year-old Brighton. My brain was a little slow to catch on. The author did a fine job setting up the story. There were some "guesses" I was wrong about and some I just knew. Discussing this will be fun.

Page 1 - "Recently I heard a girl say the words old school, so I guess that's the new way to say what I am. There's something funny about having a new way to say old-fashioned."
This just tickled my funny bone. Yes, it is funny to have a new way to say old-fashioned!

Page 37 - "'Only through death, chica,' and then she crossed herself. It made me wonder why we cried when somebody died and they got to go to heaven. Shouldn't we cry because we have to stay?"
This was the 1933 section, and I love how that capture's a child's innocent thinking. Grief and eternal life are tough concepts for many adults! A child's thinking is often more straightforward.

Page 95 - "I stayed in bed the next morning. I couldn't get up. My body wasn't stronger than my mind."
This made me think of our last book which dealt with depression. I'm so glad that I don't struggle with it, but I want to be compassionate toward those who do struggle.

Page 147 - "Words are veils and masks, and there's always something more on the other side of them than we want to believe."
This is just after she's written about words like mentally ill, mad, insane . . . words can be used to deceive as well as to elucidate. I love words and looking at how they convey meaning!

Page 151 - "It takes gumption to live, you know, and all the grit you can muster, though there were times in the earlier days I nearly gave up."
Again, this language resonated for me even though I've not struggled with depression. Giving up is sometimes seen as the best (or only) option and that makes me sad.

I really enjoyed this story. Brighton, Angel, Grace . . . these characters as well as the photography, the societal changes, and other elements will make it a delight to discuss on Monday.

No comments: