Friday, February 28, 2020

Mockingbird

by Kathryn Erskine
NPMS paperback 235 pages
genre: realistic fiction

Oh my! Initially, I started reading this to be ready as a sub with some sixth graders. I wasn't thrilled with the pov - Caitlin, a fifth grader with Aspberger's. As I read, though, I wanted to know how it turned out. I finished it before the end of the day and had tears rolling down my face before the end!

Page 8 - Caitlin's "My Manners" chart and stickers . . . stress until she remembers to say "You're Welcome" in response to someone's "Thank You." Success! This manners chart and her references to it and her conversation with Michael all made the story richer.

Page 42 - "That's why emotions are evil and I hate them! Especially crying. I don't Get It." The portrayal of someone who struggles to understand people's emotions was very realistically portrayed. Empathy was a huge theme of this book.

Page 163 - closure. the chest. Dad. Oh my! "Maybe we can make something good and strong and beautiful come out of this." This was one of the parts where I cried. Too powerful.

Page 180 - "'Class!' Mr. Mason shouts. He always shouts. It's just what PE teachers do." This made me smile and think of Gaz for some reason . . .

Page 183 - "I try to remind her but Emma's voice takes up all the room. When she grows up she should be one of those TV interviewers on Fox Five News who doesn't let anyone else talk even if they try." This also made me laugh, but not in a nice way.

One of my favorite scenes was on the playground with Caitlin, Josh, and Michael when she thinks Josh is bullying Michael. Powerful!

The Author's Note was very interesting. I'd like to read more of her work.

Eagle Scout / TKaM - Jem and Scout (and Atticus) / school shooting / bullying / empathy / . . . so much woven into this quick read. I loved it!

No comments: