Thursday, February 20, 2020

Not sure where I heard these . . .

I wrote down fragments of quotations, presumably while listening to an audiobook. But I don't know which one! It would have been in the last month or two. I want to get rid of  this scrap of paper, so I guess I'll play detective later.

The first one I thought was Tolstoy, but when I looked it up, it was apparently said by Arthur Schopenhauer. "Wealth is like sea-water; the more we drink, the thirstier we become; and the same is true of fame." I also had the words a bit different . . . ugh! I hate inaccuracies. Research forthcoming . . .

I also made a note to read Leo Tolstoy's The Confession. As I looked that one up, I see that it is called "A Confession." My notes say "search for meaning, purpose." Wikipedia says "a brief autobiographical story of the author's struggle with a mid-life existential crisis. It describes his search for the answer to the ultimate philosophical question: "If God does not exist, since death is inevitable, what is the meaning of life?." Without the answer to this, for him, life had become "impossible"." I'm intrigued, but not adding it to my list right now.

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer.” - Jim Carrey. This one struck me because so many people think that rich and famous people "have it all" and don't understand how they can give up on life. There's a different answer, people! Jesus is the answer.

"You can have everything in the world and still be the loneliest man. And that is the most bitter type of loneliness, success has brought me world idolisation and millions of pounds. But it's prevented me from having the one thing we all need: A loving, ongoing relationship." Freddie Mercury. So very sad.

I want to move on with my day, and now I can get rid of this scrap of paper. Looking at this entry, I want to take more time to read and ponder poetry, philosophy, Scripture, life. I'm in a slo-mo mood today (the day after I started this entry!) and yet I need to go-go-go. 

No comments: