Saturday, February 15, 2020

Where the Crawdads Sing

by Delia Owens
Scott County Library hardcover 368 pages
genre: realistic fiction

Oh. My. Word. Two different people highly recommended this book to me (Brooke and Mary V). I was on the library waiting list for a while. I see why it's so popular!

I want to be careful not to write any spoilers, so I will just say that I made some guesses and was wrong. It was a page-turner! I finished it shortly after starting it. I will certainly read it again. (And this is the author's first fiction book! She has written some non-fiction.)

***Spoiler Alert! After blogging, I realized that some of the things I commented on might ruin the story for another reader. Please just read this book! It's really well-written.***

Page 111 - First place I saw the title reference. "'Well, we better hide way out there where the crawdads sing. I pity any foster parents who take you on.' Tate's whole face smiled. 'What d'ya mean, where the crawdads sing? Ma used to say that.' . . . 'Just means far in the bush where critters are wild, still behaving like critters.'"

Page 222 - This may be the first time I cried. Kya went to Jumpin's and gave him a copy of her book. "She kept on buying gas and supplies from him but never accepted a handout from them again. And each time she came to his wharf, she saw her book propped up in the tiny window for all to see. As a father would have shown it."

Page 240 - "Her mind invented pictures to go with the stories. Family scraps and shreds Kya never thought she'd have." Oh! This author crafted her story so beautifully! The two time periods / storylines are woven so well. The heartache for the little girl is leavened with some loving individuals.

Page 276 - I marked this page because after many references to the poetry of Amanda Hamilton, I thought, "I need to get a book of her poetry!" Read the book . . . just read the book!

Page 289 - Animals can be absolutely amazing! I loved the jail house cat, Sunday Justice. "Finally, he settled as though he had nested here every night of his life. He looked at her. Gently she touched his head, then scratched his neck. A loud purr erupted like a current. She closed her eyes at such easy acceptance. A deep pause in a lifetime of longing."

Page 355 - "Yesterday the cemetery moved with villagers, like constant ants, including all the fishermen and shopkeepers, who had come to bury Scupper." I went from happily relieved to incredibly sad for Tate. What a moving book!

Page 361 - By the end of the book, I was just sobbing. "Standing on the porch, Mabel rushed to Kya. They hugged, rocking back and forth, crying. 'Lawd, he loved ya like his own dawder,' Mabel said. 'I know,' Kya said, 'and he was my pa.'"

I read through this book so quickly. I'm on another waiting list for the audiobook, and I am sure I will hear and notice even more beauty on a second time through. What a fantastic book! The NYT book review says in part: "Painfully beautiful . . . At once a murder mystery, a coming-of-age narrative, and a celebration of nature." Amen!




No comments: