Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Brides of Eden: A True Story Reimagined

by Linda Crew
PRMS discard, hardcover, 210 pages plus afterword
genre: YA historical fiction

This book intrigued me. I weeded it from the school collection because it had *never* been checked out, had an unappealing cover, and was about a cult from the early 1900s. I didn't ditch it because I wanted to read it.

It was distressing that so much of what these "Holy Rollers" said and did at the beginning of the story truly is Scriptural and not really bizarre at all. As it went on and Joshua put himself forward as the Messiah and made his own proclamations, though, their "church" was clearly not what God intended for His followers. Sigh. It was very interesting to read, especially knowing that it was based on real events and real people. I wonder if I could get another Christian to read and discuss it. Cults are creepy and lives are damaged when lies are believed and one's own sanity is in doubt.

No comments: