Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Arthritis: How to Stay Active and Relieve Your Pain

by Barbara Stokes and Antoine Helewa
Hennepin County Library paperback 406 pages plus resources and index
genre: non-fiction health

Oh my! I wish I had started with this arthritis book instead of spending time on that first one. Speaking of time, as I renewed this book the *second* time, I thought about just buying my own personal copy off Amazon. I probably should have! But I will blog it, photocopy some pages, and return it today.

This book was helpful, well-organized, and easy to understand. I made a list of some questions to discuss with my doctor and I made a list of things I can do to make a positive difference in mitigating the impact of arthritis pain in my life. (My left knee has been challenging lately . . . )

I want to photocopy pages 65-68 with the look at osteoarthritis. I am so grateful that I am as healthy as I am, but would like to be proactive. When my knee pain is really bad, it's hard to do the things I enjoy.

Pages 71-74 on fibromyalgia are pages I wanted to share with my friend Kim. They are probably not "news" to her, but it helped me understand what she is dealing with so much better.

Pages 220-228 are the range of motion exercises that I want to start doing! The directions and drawings are very clear and helpful.Pages 230-233 have the stretches that I want to start doing.
Pages 247-256 have the strengthening exercises. That's a lot of copying! I almost wish I'd just ordered my own personal copy of the book . . .

My personal list of "What I can do" items is from various places in the book. I'm excited to focus on what I CAN do instead of bemoaning my pain and challenges. My personal list:
  • have a positive attitude
  • focus on what I CAN do
  • rest
  • ice
  • NSAIDs (Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) - Ibuprofen
  • practice positive self-talk (page 167)
  • relax / breathe / yoga
  • walk, swim, bicycle (gradually increase distance and duration)
  • consider alternative ways to do things
  • get good sleep at night!
  • work with an OT or a PT
  • change position often
  • get shoes that fit well (good support)
  • take frequent breaks (stand up, stretch, relax)
  • maintain good posture
This is a wonderful book! The parts that weren't as relevant to me personally, I felt comfortable skim-reading and didn't feel that I had missed out. This is what I was envisioning when I started looking for "Arthritis for Dummies" . . . and it is even better than I expected! (Anyone who wants to buy me a gift . . . )

No comments: