Sunday, May 21, 2017

A Fatal Grace

by Louise Penny
Hennepin County Library audiobook 9 discs
read by Ralph Cosham
genre: murder mystery / detective
***Spoilers ahead!***

Ugh! I wish I'd read these books in order! This is book two, but the fourth one I've read. I'm getting good at IDing the killer early in the story . . . it's generally not one of the main characters that I've come to know and love (Peter and Clara, Ruth, etc.)

One problem with the audiobook is . . . not seeing the text. I *assumed* the murdered bag lady was "L" and not "Elle" . . . but they were assuming the other way around.

I loved the word play and letters - Bea (B), Eleanor / Elle (L), Emily (M), Kay (K), and of course a C for CC. Since I already knew that Henri would become Gamache's dog, as soon as he showed up with the three women, I knew they would be out of the picture by the end of the book.

Too many F-bombs in the book . . . I loved the conversation between Gamache and Nicole after the fire. I saw him identifying her situation with his own pain and experience in the Arnault case. But then, the horrible twist with her skewing the conversation and the meaning! Ugh! she has such low self-esteem!

I'm curious to watch the movie The Lion in Winter . . . Eleanor of Aquitaine (as played by Katherine Hepburn) sounds intriguing.

Psalm 46:10 - "Be still and know that I am God." (Not Be Calm . . . again with the word play)

I cried at the part that described Ruth having to put her dog Sunny down.

I find myself wanting to travel to these places - some fiction, some fact. St. Remy, Williamsburg, Three Pines, Montreal . . .

Frankheur (sp?) - / Arnault case / Braeboeuf . . . I really, really, really should have read the books in order. For how much the Arnault case figures into Gamache's life and these stories, it precedes book one of this series!

CC DePoitier is *cruel* - I felt so bad for her daughter. Gabri and Ruth trading insults just made me laugh.

The chin hairs comment made me think of my mom and Louise! Why oh why didn't anyone speak up for Crie?

Henri / poopsicles - made me laugh.

Gamache told Rene Marie who killed CC . . . but we're left in suspense.

I wonder if there's a collected poetry book of all "Ruth's" poems? I should see. Hearing it makes me miss reading poetry.

Lettings people kill themselves vs. being brought to justice. Interesting how the parallels between the three graces and Arnault are drawn.

Lemon meringue pie / God / Scripture - I liked this story a lot more than the third one in the series!


No comments: