Monday, May 08, 2017

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

by Jacqueline Kelly
Hennepin County Library audiobook 8 discs
read by Natalie Ross
genre: YA historical fiction

I "read" this a few weeks ago, so these are just random notes and memories of the book.
  • set in 1899 . . . hard for most of my students to relate to
  • Origin of Species / library - oh! I hate it when the librarians are nasty. I understand that there are people like that (especially more than one hundred years ago, but still - yuk!) I agree with Callie's comment "Some people aren't fit to be librarians!"
  •  "wind machine" - a kerosene powered fan! Crazy - I never knew such a thing existed!
  • "princely pecans" - I like that! (And I love pecan pies . . . )
  • I had to re-listen to the CD a few times to get this down: ". . . a carved whale's tooth etched with a bosomy lady not exactly contained by her corset." (One of Callie's observations when she's allowed into Grandfather's library.)
  • Grandpa telling her about the Civil War - powerful
  • LOL on alcohol test!!! I love grandpa!
  • mom's attitude toward living in same house with father-in-law . . . yeah. I can relate.
  • grandpa - importance of "husbanding" one's time and spending it on worthy pursuits. Didn't learn this until he was age 50 . . . wisdom comes with age . . . again, I can relate. I want to spend my time on worthwhile pursuits also.
  • Kids - Harry (17), Sam Houston (15?), Lamar (13?), Calpurnia (12), Travis (10, tender-hearted, has cats), Saul Ross (8), Jim Bowie (5, "JB")
  • Her moment of revelation when talking to Lula - "I want to go to the university." Powerful! (Much different than her parents giving her "The Science of Housewifery" as a Christmas gift.) A feminist 12-year-old in 1899 . . . interesting!
  • *loved* when Callie Vee truly realized Viola's meaning in her life! "Viola never lied to me." / Hugged her "tiny bird bones" - "It was interesting that such a slight frame could contain so large a person."
I ended up really enjoying this book! I'm glad I read it, but I remember some of the comments when it won the Newbery in 2010 - the unappealing cover and being set in 1899 make this a book not many kiddos will pick up. Smart elementary and early middle schoolers will love it! (Mostly girls, I'm guessing.) I want to recommend it to Nina! (a science teacher at my school) I think she would like it as well.

No comments: